Saturday, February 11, 2012

how Leisa and I rolled the truck.


A winter storm is raging outside and my muse is calling.  There are so many subjects and stories I could address; bullying and intimidation; why bad things happen to good people, Rats (don’t worry you will hear more of these two legged creatures at a later date, and finally I settle into a topic, Snow and Storms.

This storm is of little consequence.  Both Steve and I retired, no work calls. It is Saturday evening and there are no errands to run.  We are warm and snug in our home.  All the people I love and care about are safe and secure.  We have a shovel master extraordinaire who will insure that my steps and walk is snow free.

I remember earlier winters driving home in a storm. I would know that hills of both Pitt and Wentworth Streets would be impossible to navigate.  So I would take Crown and turn right on King Street East hoping to loop around to Elliott Row.  Often none of these streets would be plowed.  I would be okay if there was nothing in my way; for those who drive in winter snow the secret is to keep the gas steady and do not let off!   However bad drivers seldom know they are bad drivers and many times, waiting for one to falter,  I would become swamped.  Then it was the shovel and I against the snow with the snow often the victor.  Finally I learned to leave my vehicle at work and bus or cab home.  Now I do not venture out.  Have I mentioned I love being retired?

Leisa and I / no truck!
For someone who has been driving over forty five years I have had few accidents.  One noteworthy exception was the time Leisa and I rolled the half ton. I was the library manager in Florenceville, NB and Leisa went with me each day as she was a preschooler and the babysitter was close to my work.  Our family vehicle was a half-ton and while the box was surely filled with a half-ton of snow, it was still notorious on the snow packed roads.  It had snowed all weekend and was now clear and sunny, the roads were plowed.  Everything should have been good.

 As I started down Spruce Hill I suddenly knew we were in trouble.  For you readers in Carleton County, Spruce Hill has changed considerably.  That morning it was a long, straight, steep slide.  And that is what my half ton was doing, Sliding!  Then in an instance I saw the back of the truck in front of me.  In one continuous motion I turned off the key, put Leisa down on the floor and tucked myself in and over her.  There were no seat belts in the 1970’s. My next thought was that the world was upside down; in fact our world was.  The truck was upside down and tilted head first in the snow.  Leisa and I were too stunned to cry. We righted ourselves so that we were at least pointing toward the sky. 

I did not even have time to think how to proceed.   There was banging at the doors and voices.  In minutes local menfolk had us out.  There was talk about calling my husband to pull us out, but someone remembered Ronald was working over in Centerville.  Leisa and I were hustled off to the nearby store.  A tractor and a front end loader pulled out the half ton.  The guys cleaned it off, looked it over and proclaimed it fit to drive. After telling me they had seen the truck roll at least three times,  Leisa and I were sent on our way.    I was not even late for work.  And no one asked me how Leisa and I rolled the truck.

4 comments:

  1. not even late for work. that must have been some truck! now a days if you roll anything it looks like a crumpled soda pop can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when that happened(your accident), that hill was a nightmare in the winter..You were lucky that you both were okay...The hill looks so different now.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've all had an angels hand upon us so many times, like this time, they just wisked out a wing and every so gentle let you tumble, letting you both be fine, and go on about your day and life. God knew you both had so so so much more living, and giving to do, and you have :) #godisgood #wingsonyourtruck #lovemymum #lovemylilsis

    ReplyDelete