Friday, February 3, 2012

why we spelled her name Leisa.

Blog writing has become a habit, albeit a good one.  After January I was only going to blog on an irregular basis; however it appears that I cannot let a day pass without an episode of No one asked me.

Today is February 3rd, and on this day thirty nine years ago my youngest daughter was born.  We named her Leisa Renea Brooker.  The naming was not a simple task.  Her father, Ronald, was determined that he make the decision. Vavielle, our oldest, had been christened by my mother.  This second daughter would be our last and Ronald’s curtain call for names.
His first suggestions of “Rusty or Terry” I immediately deemed unacceptable.  Second choices were Lori or Lisa, so Lisa it was.  Enter my mother, who felt we should spell the name Leisa.  Leisa has always been apologetic about the spelling of her name. So after thirty nine years let me share the facts about LEISA.

Leisa meaning and name origin © 2004-2012 Thinkbabynames.com

Leisa age 3 months
Leisa \Top of Form

Bottom of Form
le(i)-sa\Top of Form


Bottom of Form
As a girl's name is a variant of Elizabeth (Hebrew), and the meaning of Leisa is "God's promise; God is my oath".

The baby name Leisa sounds like Lisa, Leesa, Leasa and Luisa.



Popularity of Leisa

Leisa is a very popular first name for women (#1477 out of 4276) but an uncommon surname or last name for all people. (1990 U.S. Census)

*  *  *  *

While Leisa was a very difficult infant, she suffered from an incomplete digestive system and projectile vomiting that only served to draw us closer.  An adorable preschooler, Leisa grew into a great student.  I could list all of her accomplishments, however I want to finish this blog tonight LOL.  Also Leisa is very, very modest and I would not want to embarrass her.

Suffice to say I have now legitimized Leisa’s name and spelling.  As her Mother, when I look back over Leisa’s life some of the high points for me have been;

·       When the vomiting ceased

·       Her first step

·       At age five Leisa taught herself to read through typing

·       Swimming prowess and making the swim team

·       Grade nine valedictorian

·       High school graduation

·       Birth of her daughter Marcia Brooke Denton

·       Marriage to Mohammed Mourad

·       Birth of Matthew and Noah

·       Conceptualization and success as a jewellery artist  LeisaB

·       Travelling to Egypt this past year



Leisa 2011
Names are so important; they are the first indication one has of a person.  Those many long years ago   I was thinking of Hilary or Meredith. While they are good names,  I am very glad that Ronald intervened.  My special daughter would not be the same person with one of those names.  But no one asked me why we spelled her name Leisa.

15 comments:

  1. yes you have 2 beautiful daughters, they would make any mother proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like my unique name but wish I didn't have to spell it and explain it quite so much. I like it much better then Rusty!!! OMG, what was Dad thinking???? LOL

    Thank you for always thinking (well, almost always...) that I'm wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered about the spelling of her name. I like that it's a form of Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As another Leisa who is near in age to LeisaB I was wondering where you first saw or heard of this spelling. I have been half heartedly tracing the origin and have only found that it was in "a" book but no one remembers the book or anything else with the origin of this spelling.

    *waving to LeisaB* Hello fellow sister of the Lisa with an E :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'm a little behind on the blog .. but im also a Leisa and my mom wanted to be unique. Guess not so much unique now... when I became US CItizen they asked if i wanted to change my name to a "correct spelling". I said NO way .. my mom named me that way and I have been for 20 + years so I'm keeping it... and I love it now.. not so much in school years.

      Delete
    2. My mum named my sister Leisa because it is phonetically correct spelling of Lisa. Vowel at the end of a word chages the sound to i instead or e. I have named my own daughter Leisa so the legacy lives on.

      Delete
  5. My Mother was the one who insisted that we spell it "Leisa" I questioned her recently and she said "Lisa is Lii (long I) sa, anyone would know you spell Leisa with an e!" so from my Mother's lips.

    Thanks for the read and the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also a Leisa, born in 1962. My mother just liked that spelling of the name, and I think she had a student with the same name. I, however, do not like this spelling as it's always made me feel "different" and that my name isn't really Lisa, and I don't qualify as a Lisa. I also was married to a Muslim, and traveled to Egypt. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also Leisa with an E. My dad named me He said it meant Gods promise and he has always felt that I was Gods promise to him. I love that man. Love my name too. Born 1967

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also Leisa with an E. My dad named me He said it meant Gods promise and he has always felt that I was Gods promise to him. I love that man. Love my name too. Born 1967

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also leisa with and E. I love the person who I am and I also appreciate my parents to choose the spelling of my name..the Dutch pronounciation is so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also leisa with and E. I love the person who I am and I also appreciate my parents to choose the spelling of my name..the Dutch pronounciation is so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI I'm leisa also. I like the spelling. With such a common name, I like it being different in some way. Born in 65

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm leisa with an e as well and I was born in 87 and I did not realize there were so many other leisa's out there

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm leisa with an e as well and I was born in 87 and I did not realize there were so many other leisa's out there

    ReplyDelete