Thursday, February 2, 2012

If Brenda and I skied.

Brenda & Valerie 2009
From age ten Christmas was my favorite vacation.  Not so much for the day and presents but because I would go to Brenda’s.  Brenda Rogers was, and is, my all-time favorite cousin.   We met when I was seven and she was eight.  I know, I know, half a century later Brenda looks ten years my junior but I love her in spite of that.


Uncle Earl was Brenda’s Dad and one of my Mother’s older brothers. He would arrive to pick me up a few days after Christmas. Sometimes Brenda would be with him, sometimes not.  Brenda and family lived in the rural community of Lindsay, outside of Woodstock, New Brunswick.  That was about thirty miles away from my home in Fielding.   Not far in distance but a million miles in spirit.  My home was loud and noisy, filled with little boys and animals and a difficult father.  It was the kind of place where you could find the clothes line (with clothes) around a cow’s horn, barn hay in the separator milk or a bird in your bedroom.

Brenda’s home was quiet and serene.  I cannot remember anyone raising their voice.   We sat around the table after dinner and had long conversations.  Those conversations featured such topics as how many angels could dance on the head of a pin, or the meaning of the Greek key.  I was introduced to kitchen sink soup by Brenda’s older sister Charlotte.  This delightful soup was never the same for Charlotte used whatever was available.  Once it was miniature meatballs swimming in tomatoey goodness another would be more chowder with a potato base.  And that was just the evening meal.

 Each day I was at Brenda’s was a delight. I would rise early and tip toe out of the room so I would not wake Brenda and her sisters.   Uncle Earle would be awake long before I; we would have breakfast and then I would be his companion in whatever exploit or task was at hand.  He often befriended a neighbour who was down on their luck, and I was cautioned to keep those jaunts confidential.

 In my memories Brenda and I spent our days reading and talking and going to town and talking and cooking and talking.   Our snicker doodle cookies are still infamous.  Paper dolls were a favorite activity.  Not those large commercial ones but tiny little ones we fashioned and used the Easton’s catalogue as a source for hundreds of dresses. 
Brenda Rogers & Valerie Vail  1963?
I do not remember many outside activities but these photos prove we did have at least one skiing adventure.  Surely Uncle Earle gathered the skis, organized the outing and took these photos.  Back inside Aunt Effie and Charlotte would have been waiting with hot chocolate and snacks.  You have not heard of this before?  Well no one asked me If Brenda and I skied.

No comments:

Post a Comment