Saturday, March 24, 2012

about a gift for Vavielle

March 25th is Vavielle’s birthday and I would like to bestow on my eldest all manner of gifts.  However I am hampered, first by lack of funds.  Were money no object my first gift would be a glamor photo shoot. Vavielle is so beautiful and photogenic the photographs would be outstanding. 

Then I would throw a party.  As Vavielle and Peter’s home is so beautiful 2131 Berwick Drive would be the venue.  The theme would be family fun and flowers. Imagine the pool with one hundred beautiful flowers floating on the water, balloons and Chinese lanterns dancing overhead.  Children cavorting on the lawns, Yummy finger food  and snacks and did I mention I would fly in all her favorite people – Leisa and crew,  Steve and I too,  Grammy Edna, David and family, Julie plus three and Anissa with her brood.  Of course Allen and family would attend.  And then there would be all the wondeful Schlacter family and the Onraio Vail/Rogers contingent!  What a party we would have.
 However that is all a dream so I shall give what I can, reminiscences and a small object that is associated with those memories. This is a little Noritake cream pitcher. 
Noritake Tree in the Meadow pattern
The creamer was given to me by Aunt Bell some thirty odd years ago.  Aunt Bell was a younger sister of Burl Brooker.  Burl Brooker was Vavielle’s grandfather.    Aunt Bell told me that the pitcher had belonged to her mother.  I have attempted to weave the memory trail between that statement and the facts.  Bell and Burl’s mother, Dora Howland Brooker, died when Burl was just seven and Bell less than five.  Dora was an American from the Presque Isle, Maine area.  When Dora died the Howland family came to Fielding for the funeral. When they left Bell, another girl who I think was called Inez, and the baby Donny went with them.  I can only imagine this little creamer; did the child Bell clutch it in her hand as she left the only home she had known?  Or did Bell acquire it later in life?  Had Dora at one time had a set of the Noritake?  That does not seem realistic as this china was always considered expensive and they were a poor family.  Or was the creamer a gift to Dora?  She was known for caring for the sick.  In fact Dora had been caring for a community on the other hill (she lived on Brooker hill and was nursing on Bell Hill) who were sickened with diphtheria.

 When the call came for Dora’s nursing skills her husband Earlin pleaded with her not to go, citing her young baby Donny and the fact the disease was so contagious.  Dora replied that she had survived diphtheria and so was immune and that she must nurse her neighbours.  Dora was gone several weeks, many of the adults and children succumbed to the disease but for some Dora’s nursing skills proved successful.  When the epidemic had passed Dora returned home.  Unfortunately it was a cold rainy day when she trudged those miles of wooded trails from one hill to the other.  Dora arrived home soaked to the hide, chilled to the bone and very weary. She took to her bed.  Dora Howland Brooker was dead in just a few days. 

When our daughters were young their father Ronald and I loved to visit his Aunt Bell who lived in Fort Fairfield, Maine.  She was such a presence that I remember her as Aunt Bell and cannot recall a surname. In our visiting time frame Aunt Bell had already been widowed, there was much talk of Uncle Harry – I think he was a character.  And her one foster son lived far away however their presence filled her mobile home.  As much as we enjoyed our visited to her, I think Aunt Bell treasured them more.  The girls were content to eat, listened to the adults reminisce and watch fuzzy TV on a rabbit ear TV.  Aunt Belle often showed me her prize possessions. I like to think that the lovely Noritake creamer was Aunt Bell’s light. That she would pour the half and half in the pitcher and remember her Mother.  A memory held by a five year old, warm and fuzzy.  I was so honored when Aunt Bell gave me the pitcher. I have treasured and guarded it.  Now it is time to pass it on.  The creamer is from 1930’s and valued from $17.99 to $70.00. But for me it is priceless,  Happy Birthday Vavielle, love you forever.

2 comments:

  1. I remember Aunt Bell well even though I was still quite young. The visits were always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum, I finally figured out how to be able to post replies, I am a little behind when it comes to computer literacy- funny given my profession...anyway...THANK YOU for your very heartfelt and generours gift, the gift of the creamer as well as the beautiful story. Love you!

    ReplyDelete