Sunday, March 11, 2012

About seeing Whitney Houston

On February eleventh, I like the rest of North America, heard that Whitney Houston was dead.   Not of some lingering illness or an unforeseen accident but of an overdose of drugs and alcohol.  She was 48.  

Houston was a mezzo-soprano, and was commonly referred to as "The Voice" in reference to her exceptional vocal talent.  Her vocal range extended from G below middle C (G3) to high B-flat  (B5); she could belt out to treble F (F5).  Whitney was third in MTV's list of 22 Greatest Voices.   At her peak Whitney was worth $150 million, it has now been released that at the time of her debt she was $20 million in debt.  It is sad to see someone who rode so high crash so low.  Then I remembered, I had seen Whitney in person.

The year was 1989 and I was one of four women who visited New York on a whirlwind “show” tour. One of our shows was Diana Ross in concert at Radio City Music Hall.  Our tickets were for the midnight show.  Diana was awesome, more about that later.  About half way through the show she mentioned there was someone special in the audience and called Whitney to the stage.  I was sure Diana called Whitney her niece; however they are no relation whatsoever. Whitney’s mother is a singer, Cissy Houston who sang back up on several of Diana Ross's Albums!


Whitney floated on stage; she had that ethereal fairy dust quality.  Towering over the diminutive Diana, Whitney sang one number.  Although we were in nose bleed seats I put my opera glasses to good use.  One number and she left, drifted off the stage and out of my life.

Diana resumed her concert.   She was magnificent, making at least seven costume changes with matching vocal selections.  I had not realized how tiny Ross was and many of her costumes were very heavy. The program said that one weighed twenty pounds.  We were also informed that Diana often lost up to ten pounds in a performance.  It was a magnificent show; we enjoyed the audience almost as much as Diana.  Many had arrived in stretch limos and wore evening clothes glitzed with what we now call bling.  We wore casual clothing and sneakers and enjoyed the evening immensely.  I had not thought of the Diana Ross concert for many years.   

Is it the quest for riches that drives these entertainers?  Does signing one contract for a cool million make them salivate for more?  Are possessions really so important?   I wish I could have told the young Whitney Houston what her future would hold.   She would not have been deterred.

3 comments:

  1. life of the rich & famous!!!to much money, to much attention, to much of everything.....she had it all & let it all fall away.....She was a great singer & loved her acting in the Body Guard, (course who wouldn't be good with Kevin Costner,lol)..what a waste of talent....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool story! I think that pop stars just get pumped up from all the adrenaline from being on stage. I'm no super star, but I know from my acting/singing days when I was on stage I felt a kind of thrill that you can only feel from standing on a stage in front of your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another story not known to me, it is amazing to me the people that you have met and seen in your life. It is a tragedy when anyone dies from an addiction, it seems especially sad to us I think when the person has such a rare talent as Whitney or Michael Jackson, but in the end, we are all equal and everyone's life matters. When someone cannot feel the love of their family and/or friends and feel they have to turn to drugs/alcohol and other substances to dim their pain, it is a sad sad thing...just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete