Thursday, March 8, 2012

about International Women's Day

Today, March eighth, is International Women’s Day.  Other years I have participated in an event to mark the day, a gathering at the ABEC, a meal with likeminded women, an event for teens.   I saw no such event advertised this year.

On May 8, 1965  International Women's Day was declared a non-working day in the USSR "in commemoration of the outstanding merits of Soviet women in communistic construction.” In the West, International Women's Day was first observed as a popular event after 1977 when the United Nations General Assembly invited member states to proclaim March 8 as the UN Day for women's rights and world peace.


 The 1932 Soviet poster dedicated to the 8th of March holiday. The text reads: "8th of March is the day of rebellion of the working women against kitchen slavery" and "Down with the oppression and narrow-mindedness of household work." 





I was unaware of this important day until the mid-eighties when I moved to Saint John.   Here I met Ermine Cohen, Mary Eileen Travis and was introduced to Saint John Women for Action.   This was a nonpartisan political group comprised of socially conscious women. My first interaction was with the Pro Choice group which had sprung up to support the Morgentaler clinic.  There were thoughts of establishing this in Saint John, but the realities made Fredericton a better home.  

It was the interaction and introduction to women that was my delight. Nancy More, brew master at Labatt’s;  Cheryl Robertson, principal of NBCC;  Patricia Donahee, then chair of the Welfare review board; these are a few of the wonderful women who were then, and now, my friends.

The Women for Action held events for International Women’s Day; participated in elections at all levels (I was on the moderator panel for one debate).  We supported International and local students. We brought high profile women to town as Speakers.  Then after ten years, we grew weary.   The bright young things were not interested in our group. 

They seemed to think their star shone bright because they were brighter and stronger and their sisters hung out at the bars.  We did not disband, be simply fizzled out. 

From time to time another group will have an event similar to ours, a trade union or Non Profit.  I attend a few, it is always nice to see old faces and hear new ideas.  But, the new ideas are one dimensional. International Women's Day - here in Saint John signifies the ground we have lost. There is only one woman on city council, no women on most boards and commissions. Most of our daughters have given away what we fought for. Our granddaughters say "fight, what fight?"  

Has it all been in vain?  I am on the wrong side of sixty, retired, ill and have a decent pension.  I may have my husband’s last name but I have my own bank account and for most purposes I wear the pants.  I am the go-to person for our family and friends.  You need not purchase my burial plot just yet.  

2 comments:

  1. It wasn't in vain! As a young proud strong feminist, I am thankful for all the work of the women who have forged ahead. I think we see it/feel it less which is why we (young women) speak about it less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't feel what you and other women before you did to ensure that; woman could vote, could attain a higher education, could be paid the same salary as a man for the same job, could become Prime Minister, the list goes on and one- was in vain. I do agree with Beth that because we are not in a place where we are picketing and the like, does not mean that we have given up what we know was not there so few years ago. What does concern me is that we have come so far and yet we still know for a fact that on average a man makes 40% more than a woman in the EXACT same job...true. We also know that it is a fact that there are more men in politics than woman, there are more men in "big business" than woman. However, I do haev to question, do woman really want these roles? Are they really clamoring to get to the "top" to be the CIO, CEO, COO, CFO etc, etc. Fpr some women - yes for sure. And for those women, I think they have a fair chance of making it (this is somewhat dependent on the industry which they are a part of.) For me, I have always been taught (by YOU) that I could be anything, I could achieve anything. And this is how I live my life. I do not accept no as a valid reply when I really want something. It may sometimes take me a while (like years) to figure out a way to achieve what I set my sights on, but in the end I usually do. So, I come back to...how many woman really want the life of working 12-14 hours a day, on call on weekends, travel, away from the family (children), etc. Again, there are some, but in my circle of friends there are not many. It simply is not what they want out of life. I do not think that this means that they are throwing away what other women fought so hard for, but rather the opposite, they are exercising their right to CHOOSE what they want from their life, and that I think is somehting all women can be thankful for. I'm not sure if you ever burned your bra, or stormed city hall, or was a part of some sit in, but I do know that you raised two daughters who believe that they are equal and deserve equal pay/rights/ and that we can be and do whatever we feel is right for us. For that I thank you. Just my two cents...

    ReplyDelete